Released KDE Plasma Desktop 5.6.2 bugfix Release
KDE Plasma is one of the best, innovative, modern and next generation Desktop for Linux which was released under open source. KDE Plasma 5 is the fifth and current generation of the desktop environment created by KDE primarily for Linux systems with help of Qt 5 and KDE Frameworks 5. The graphical interface was fully migrated to QML, which uses OpenGL for hardware acceleration resulting in better performance and reduced power consumption. The latest version of KDE Plasma 5.6.2 released on April 05, 2016
fully integrated KDE Workspaces such as Konqueror web browser, Dolphin file manager and Kontact, the comprehensive personal information management suite, education, multimedia, office productivity, networking, games and much more
What’s new in KDE 5.6.2
- Slicker Plasma Theme : The default Plasma theme, Breeze, now follows the application color scheme allowing for a more personalized experience.
- Supercharged Task Manager which will show progress of tasks, such as downloading or copying files.
- Smoother Widgets : KRunner gained support for drag and drop
- Weather : Another feature returns from the old days, the weather widget.
- Wayland support included since plasma 5.5
- KDE Plasma 5.6 release
1) Install KDE Desktop on Linux
Almost all the major Linux distribution officially support
KDE Desktop Environment, so we can install easily from their official repository.
[Debian System] $ sudo tasksel install kde-desktop [Ubuntu/Mint System] $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports $ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade $ sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop [Fedora System] $ sudo dnf install @kde-desktop [CentOS/RHEL System] $ sudo groups install "KDE Plasma Workspaces" [openSUSE System] $ sudo zypper in -t pattern kde kde_plasma
2) Install KDE Desktop on Arch Linux
Arch Linux comes without GUI, So we need to install few other softwares on Arch Linux to make it work KDE Desktop Environment.
$ sudo pacman -S plasma
3) Install KDE Desktop on FreeBSD
FreeBSD comes without GUI, So we need to install other softwares & few tweaks on FreeBSD to make it work KDE Desktop Environment.
$ sudo pkg install kde