ownCloud 7.0 release notes and upgrade steps
Owncloud is excellent product but upgrade is headache, You can’t upgrade using Update Center When ever if you try to do on upgrade, it will shows some errors. Wednesday, July 23rd, 2014 owncloud 7 version launched, Now i’m going to upgrade in my owncloud from 6.0.4 to 7.0.1 using manually upgrade is better and standard one.
What’s New in ownCloud 7
1) Left side menu bar added in top, near by logo with drop down menu.
2) Newly they added few more option in left side bar. When you choosing any menu from the drop down it will shows. It good feature and very useful. By default its choose files menu. It will shows below list of new links which is not in earlier versions.
- All files
- Shared with you
- Shared with others
- Shared by link
- External storage
3) In users page few more rows added. Like (Storage location & Last login) and you can filter the user based on group.
4) They modified few more minor changes. Like (Upload button changed, Navigation menu style changed, deleted files folder they removed from navigation menu and added to side bar
5) They modified few more major changes. Like above three and overall user interface. Fixed lots of bugs and now its more user friendly
Before upgrading, backup your owncloud directory and database for safety purpose.
# tar -zcvf /home/owncloud2daygeek/public_html/owncloud6-05-Aug-2014.tar.gz /home/owncloud2daygeek/public_html/owncloud # mysqldump -u root -p owncloud > owncloud.sql Enter Password *****
Download the latest version of owncloud archive file using wget command under /opt directory and extract, then remove config directory.
# /opt # wget https://download.owncloud.org/community/owncloud-7.0.1.tar.bz2 # tar -xjvf owncloud-7.0.1.tar.bz2 # rm -Rf config # chown -R USER:USER /opt/owncloud
Deactivate all third party applications. (Its not necessary, anyhow will deactivate as per owncloud instruction)
>> admin >> + Apps >> plugin name 3rd party >> If so, deactivate.
Delete everything from your ownCloud installation directory, except data and config folder. Make sure you should remove hiden files too.
# rm -Rf 3rdparty apps AUTHORS console.php COPYING-AGPL core cron.php db_structure.xml index.html index.php indie.json l10n lib occ ocs ocs-provider public.php remote.php resources robots.txt settings status.php themes version.php .htaccess .tag .user.ini
Move all the files and folder to your owncloud installation directory from /opt/owncloud. Make sure you should move hidden files too.
# mv /opt/owncloud/* /var/www/dev.2daygeek.com/public_html/owncloud # mv /opt/owncloud/.htaccess .tag .user.ini /var/www/dev.2daygeek.com/public_html/owncloud
Navigate your browser to owncloud installation directory. In my case http://owncloud.2daygeek.com/owncloud/ and it will shows blow screen shot. Hit Start update button and wait until the process is complete.
We are preparing all articles in-depth to understand by all level/stage Linux administrators. If the article is useful for you, then please spend less than a minute to share your valuable comments in our commenting section.
Please stay tune with us…Good Luck.