GNOME is an easy and elegant way to use your computer. It is designed to put you in control and bring freedom to everybody. GNOME 3 is developed by the GNOME community with group of contributors that is supported by an independent, non-profit foundation. It’s Free, open-source desktop environment which is suitable for all kind of Linux OS such as RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian, ArchLinux, Manjaro, FreeBSD, Fedora, Mint & openSUSE,etc.. GNOME project proudly announced the GNOME 3.20, the latest version of GNOME 3 series on April 23, 2016. This is another exciting release for GNOME 3 version but launched with lots of new features and Many Refinements. This latest version of GNOME 3 is the result of six months of development and includes
28,933 changes, made by approximately
Highlights for GNOME 3.20
- OS upgrades can now be installed using Software
- Wayland support has improved significantly, with kinetic scrolling, drag-and-drop, and middle-click paste
- Keyboard shortcuts and gestures can be easily learned with new shortcut overlay windows
- Privacy controls have been improved with per-application location access
- Quick access to media controls directly from the shell
- Searching in Files has been much improved
- Builder can now build XDG-Apps, a new cross-distro framework for building and distributing desktop applications. These can also be installed directly from GNOME Software
- For more details
- Other Improvements
1) Install GNOME Desktop on Linux
Almost all the major Linux distribution officially support
GNOME Desktop Environment, so we can install easily from their official repository.
[Install GNOME on Ubuntu] $ sudo apt-get install gnome-shell ubuntu-gnome-desktop [Install GNOME on Debian] $ sudo tasksel install gnome-desktop [Install GNOME on Fedora] $ sudo dnf install @gnome-desktop [Install GNOME on CentOS/RHEL] $ sudo yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop" [Install GNOME on openSUSE] $ sudo zypper in -t pattern gnome [Install GNOME on Mint] $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3 $ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get install gnome [Install GNOME on Manjaro] $ sudo pacman -S gnome gnome-extra
2) Install GNOME Desktop on Arch Linux
Arch Linux comes without GUI, So we need to install few other softwares on Arch Linux to make it work GNOME Desktop Environment.
$ sudo pacman -S gnome gnome-extra
3) Install GNOME Desktop on FreeBSD
FreeBSD comes without GUI, So we need to install other softwares & few tweaks on FreeBSD to make it work GNOME Desktop Environment.
$ sudo pkg install gnome3
2 Comments on “Released GNOME 3.20 with Major New Features, Many Refinements”
I followed all the instructions and it tells me there is no gnome shell installed. Please help if possible.
Thanks for the help! 🙁