Elementary OS 0.4 LOKI is one of the best distro based on Ubuntu & better too
Elementary OS 0.4 LOKI was released on last month 09 Sep, 2016 almost one and half year of development, after succeeds Freya which was released in April of 2015. Elementary OS 0.4 LOKI based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Long Term Support).
Elementary is one of the beautiful Linux distribution based on Ubuntu LTS release with power of Pantheon flagship desktop environment. Loki is clean, elegant, polish, perfect and best designed Linux distributions for beginners, Mac & windows users, it looks similar to Mac OS.
The previous release of elementary OS Freya was downloaded more than 1.2 million times, which is the biggest achievement on FOSS as per elementary founder, Daniel Foré reports.
Four plus for Elementary OS compared to Ubuntu
- Desktop Interface : The Pantheon desktop has a unique, simple, clean & modern design which build on top of the GNOME software base. Pantheon desktop interface written from scratch (somehow from old GNOME applications) using Vala and GTK3. Ready to use desktop without additional customization
- Software : Elementary OS repository is much smaller compare with Ubuntu. Core applications written in the C language or Vala & other Elementary OS applications like Plank, Midori, etc,. deeply integrated with Pantheon shell to reduce software dependency.
- Lightweight & fast : It works pretty well on old or low-end or limited-resources hardware
- Application Launcher : Application Launcher is works in a super-fast way with simple animations.
In Loki, they have closed almost 1000 issues reported and implemented 20 blueprints. Most of the things were redesigned and lot’s of improvement done on stability and security, better internationalization, new features and options, and much more.
Notable Changes/Features on Loki
New Indicators :The system indicators has been redesigned across the board (Audio, Network, Bluetooth & Power)
Notification Center :The brand new Notification Center catches notifications from apps and intimate you. Also we can customize as per our requirement.
System Settings :The System Settings app now supports keyword search, which help you to find the app setting easily.
Menu :The Applications menu on the top panel now displays notification badges from apps, just like the dock
Online Accounts :The preliminary version of Online Accounts is finally landing in Loki. At the moment, you can configure Fastmail and IMAP email accounts & more services under development
Parental Controls :The new Parental Controls settings introduce several restrictions which will help us to make the system more parent-child friendly.
New App Center :Where you get all your apps for elementary OS. It’s fast, smooth, and handles installing both apps and updates.
- For detailed features refer Loki release info
Download Elementary OS 0.4 LOKI
Visit Elementary OS download page, then download the latest Live ISO image. Most of you face challenge to download the ISO image, what to do ? Put zero
$ 0 on custom amount box, then start download the ISO.
Create bootable USB
After downloading the Elementary OS latest Live ISO image, you need to make it as a bootable media, either Command Line way or Graphical way.
Booting Computer with Elementary OS Loki installation media
Boot your computer with Elementary OS Loki USB installation media. If you successfully booted into live USB, you will get similar to below screen.