Fedora Project, proudly announced the general release of Fedora 24 on today
June 21, 2016 few hours back. The final release was delayed four times for various reasons and mainly for fixing some important bugs and adding few new futures. There are great new features for Fedora users to deploy in their production environments right now by downloading the preferred ISO images.
Download Fedora 24 ISO Images
What’s New in Fedora 24
- Fedora 24 Workstation ported with GNOME 3.20 which is one of the best desktop provides an easy-to-use operating system for everybody
- Upgraded glibc to 2.23 for better performance, security, bugfixes & improved POSIX compliance
- glibc 2.23 library is backwards compatible with Fedora 23
- System compiler updated to GCC 6 and rebuilt all of Fedora packages according that, this improved code optimization and program error catching.
- Lots of work put on Wayland and improved a lot compare with preview release but still its not a default display system.
- Next generation graphic stack, Wayland is available as an option, it may be default display on future releases (Fedora 25) when Wayland works almost seamlessly as a drop in replacement for X11.
- Many usability improvements such as easier input device and printer settings, a better search interface, shortcut windows for keyboard commands, and more convenient music controls.
- Powered By Linux Kernel 4.5
- Flatpak is the new framework for desktop applications on Linux which provide a full system upgrade directly from the desktop from one Fedora release to the next
- Many new features and improvements are included for the increasingly diverse and expanding demands for Ruby 2.3
- livemedia-creator is a tool that is part of lorax, it has the ability to make livecd’s, raw disk images, and to do pxe2live
- Fedora Spins make it easy for people to use other desktop environments such as KDE Plasma, Xfce, LXDE, Mate-Compiz, and Cinnamon
- The Software application now has the ability to detect and offer upgrades to the latest Fedora release. This feature will soon be updated in Fedora 23, allowing users to upgrade to Fedora 24.