Mycli – Simple CLI Client For MySQL/MariaDB With AutoCompletion And Syntax Highlighting
MyCLI is a command line interface for MySQL, MariaDB, and Percona with auto-completion and syntax highlighting.
This will help us to write queries faster and easy which was written in Python prompt_toolkit.
The REPL (Read, Eval, Print, Loop) will pop up a suggestion menu as soon as you start typing.
The suggestions are context sensitive based on the position of the cursor.
Frequently used queries can be saved as favorite queries with a short name, which can be retrieved whenever we want by invoking
MyCli keeps track of the queries entered in the repl. Up/Down arrow can be used to navigate the history.
Mycli uses pager programs to make it easier to view large result sets. This can be configured or disabled.
Mycli Features :
- Auto-completion as you type for SQL keywords as well as tables, views and columns in the database.
- Syntax highlighting using Pygments.
- Smart-completion (enabled by default) will suggest context-sensitive completion.
- SELECT * FROM
will only show table names.
- SELECT * FROM users WHERE
will only show column names.
- Support for multiline queries.
- Favorite queries. Save a query using \fs alias query and execute it with \f alias whenever you need.
- Timing of sql statments and table rendering.
- Config file is automatically created at ~/.myclirc at first launch.
- Log every query and its results to a file (disabled by default).
- Pretty prints tabular data (with colors!)
- Support for SSL connections
MyCLI is very useful since lot’s of small companies & CMS (Content Management System) application such as WordPress, Joomla, Moodle, etc,., using MysQL/MariaDB as aback end.
MyCLI config file is located @
~/.myclirc and you have plenty of options for customization. The config file is created when mycli is launched for the very first time. Default log file is located at
How to install Mycli on Linux
Make sure your system should have python-pip package in order to install Mycli. pip is a python module bundled with setuptools, it’s one of the recommended tool for installing Python packages in Linux.
$ sudo apt install python-pip
Alternatively we can install from distribution official repository but you might get bit older version.
$ sudo apt-get install mycli
For RHEL/CentOS, use YUM command to install Mycli.
$ sudo yum install python-pip python-devel
For Fedora, use dnf command to install Mycli.
$ sudo dnf install python-pip
Mycli package was included in Fedora system since Fedora 22, so you can easily install from distribution official repository but you might get bit older version.
$ sudo dnf install mycli
For Arch Linux, use pacman command to install Mycli.
$ sudo pacman -S python-pip
Finally Install Mycli using pip command
$ pip install mycli
How to use Mycli
Just run the following command to invoke mycli interface and start enjoying with AutoCompletion And Syntax Highlighting
$ mycli -u user -p db_name $ mycli -u root -p