Mageia 5 Release notes and upgrade steps
Mageia is a community distribution which started as a fork of the Mandriva project, but which now operates as an independent distribution. The Mageia community proudly announced the general availability of Mageia 5, on June 19, 2015. After more than one year of development with lots of new features which will give separate identification to Mageia.
What’s new in Mageia 5
- Installation on UEFI machines is now supported
- grub2 boot menu added (optional and not the default)
- Btrfs is now supported as a primary filesystem (ext4 is the default one)
- For Packaging, We use the new standard for weak dependencies.
- Our packages’ spec files use the new standard for dependencies exclusion (making them more similar to Fedora/Suse/etc. packages).
- Kernel 3.19.8
- X.org 1.16.4
- Toolkits: Qt 5.4.0, GTK+ 3.14.8
- Desktop environments: KDE 4.14.3, GNOME 3.14, Cinnamon 2.4.5, MATE 1.8.0, XFCE 4.12, LXQt 0.9.0, Plasma 5.1.2
- Applications: LibreOffice 22.214.171.124, Firefox ESR 31.7.0 (will soon be updated to Firefox ESR 38.x)
- Mageia 5 contains almost 2,000 applications and 25,000 packages, all available from the official repositories.
- Mageia 5 release announcement
- Mageia 5 release notes
Note : 1) Don’t forget to take backup of your important/valuable data. If something goes wrong we will install freshly and restore the data.
2) Upgrade will take time based on your Internet connection
Mageia 5 Download link
1) Checking the current version of my Desktop
2) Run upgrade Mageia 4 to 5
Now, its time to upgrade your Operating system from Mageia 4 to 5.
# Update your system packages to latest version # [email protected]:~$ urpmi.update -a or [email protected]:~$ urpmi --auto-update
3) Remove all existing media from system
Remove all of the existing media sources on your system by executing below command.
# Removing existing media from system # [email protected]:~$ urpmi.removemedia -a
4) Adding Mageia 5 (Mirror Server) online sources to system
Adding Mageia 5 (Mirror Servers) online sources to system which will retrive/get all Mageia 5 packages from mirror server while upgrading the system.
# Mageia 5 Mirror Server for 64-bit # [email protected]:~$ urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist 'http://mirrors.mageia.org/api/mageia.5.x86_64.list' # Mageia 5 Mirror Server for 32-bit # [email protected]:~$ urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist 'http://mirrors.mageia.org/api/mageia.5.i586.list'
5) Start Upgrading
Use the below command to start upgrading your system to Mageia 5.
# Start Upgrading Mageia 5 # [email protected]:~$ urpmi --replacefiles --auto-update --auto
Note : Run the above command twice to confirm all the packages got upgraded
6) Checking the upgraded version of my Desktop
See my upgraded desktop version in the below snapshot.
Command line output.
I haven’t see anywhere articles about Mageia. Its in 6th place on Distrowatch. We are planing to write more articles…Cool….Enjoy….!