Ubuntu 14.04.2 Trusty Tahr release notes and upgrade steps
The Ubuntu community was pleased to announce the second update of its stable distribution Ubuntu 14.04.2 (codename “TrustyTahr”) on February 20th, 2015. This update mainly adds wider variety of hardware on an existing LTS release (LTS Hardware Enablement Stack) and added all the updated softwares. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS will get security updates until February 17, 2015. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS will be supported for 5 years for Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Server, Ubuntu Core, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, and Ubuntu Kylin. All other flavours will be supported for 3 years. Updated Packages came from Debian’s unstable branch and Ubuntu 14.04.
What’s new in Ubuntu 14.04.2
- Linux kernel 3.16
- Python 3.4
- Added new features to AppArmor
- Upstart 1.12.1
- New Ubuntu-specific settings application, derived from GNOME’s control center
- LibreOffice 4.2.3
- Xorg 15.0. & mesa 10.1
- Ubuntu Desktop
- Unity : Support for High-DPI screens and desktop scaling
- Unity : New screen saver and lock screen that matches the Unity greeter visual designs
- Unity : Lot of improvements in speed and security.
- Unity : New menu added which was embedded in the window’s title bar instead of the top menu bar
- Unity : The application spread (Super + W) has been redesigned
- Unity : Dash scopes can now be enabled and disabled from Application lens, inside dash itself
- Ubuntu Server
- OpenStack 2014.1
- Puppet 3
- Xen 4.4
- Ceph 0.79
- Qemu 2.0.0
- Open vSwitch 2.0.1
- Libvirt 1.2.2
- LXC 1.0
- MAAS 1.5
- Juju 1.18.1
- official support for strongSwan IPSec
- MySQL 5.5, MariaDB 5.5, Percona XtraDB Cluster 5.5 & MySQL 5.6 (Next release)
- Apache 2.4
- PHP 5.5
- Change logs
- Release notes
Note : 1) Don’t forget to take backup of your important/valuable data. If something goes wrong we will install freshly and restore the data.
2) Ubuntu 14.04.2 Upgrade will take around 1-2 hours
Download Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS (Trusty Tahr) images
There are multiple desktop flavours and server editions available for download.
- Download Ubuntu Desktop and Server
- Download Ubuntu Netboot
- Download Ubuntu Core
- Download Edubuntu DVD
- Download Kubuntu
- Download Lubuntu
- Download Ubuntu Studio
- Download Ubuntu GNOME
- Download UbuntuKylin
- Download Xubuntu
- Download Mythbuntu
1) Upgrade ubuntu from 14.04 to 14.04.2
Use the below command to make your system upto date. This will instantly download and upgrad packages to latest version.
[email protected]:~$ sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
Once the above process is over, Reboot the system and start play with Ubuntu 14.04.2.
2) LTS Hardware Enablement Stack
Anyone wish to opt into the hardware enablement stack for Trusty, follow the below steps.
# Enable Hardware Enablement Stack # [email protected] [~]# sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-utopic xserver-xorg-lts-utopic libegl1-mesa-drivers-lts-utopic xserver-xorg-video-all-lts-utopic xserver-xorg-input-all-lts-utopic # Enable Hardware Enablement Stack on amd64 system that boots with UEFI # [email protected] [~]# sudo apt-get install linux-signed-generic-lts-utopic