LinuxMint release notes and upgrade from 17.1 (Rebecca) to 17.2 (Rafaela)
LinuxMint project proudly announced the new release of LinuxMint 17.2 and the code was named as Rafaela on June 30, 2015. Linux Mint 17.2 is a long term support release which will be supported until 2019. It comes with updated software and brings refinements and many new features to make your desktop even more comfortable to use.
What’s new in LinuxMint 17.2
- Better support for UEFI, NVIDIA and Optimus cards
- Solving freezes with NVIDIA GeForce GPUs
- Booting with non-PAE CPUs
- Misconfigured Swap when using home directory encryption
- Watching Flash DRM content
- DVD Playback with VLC
- Linux kernel 3.16
- MDM 2.0
- MATE 1.10
- LibreOffice 4.4.3
- Inkscape 0.91
- KDE 4.14
- MATE Desktop changes
- In the Caja file browser, you can now enable/disable extensions at run-time.
- The help functionality was improved and is now available within the desktop.
- In the Software Sources configuration tool you can now open PPA archives and browse their packages.
- Scrensaver unlocks via logind are now supported
- Artwork improvements
- Cinnamon 2.6
- Desktop freezes
- logind/consolekit-upower support
- Responsiveness, load times and CPU usage
- Multi-monitor and multi-panel support
- improved Panels and applets
- The “System Settings” were redesigned and reorganized to beautiful new look
- The window effects setting was simplified and cool new effects were introduced.
- Nemo improvements
- Linux Mint 17.2 “Rafaela” MATE released
- Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela MATE Edition details
- Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela Cinnamon Edition details
- For fresh installation, use the link to download the LinuxMint 17.2 (Rafaela) images based on your country
Note :1) Take backup of your important data before upgrading, just incase if anything goes wrong we can re install and restore the data.
2) The upgrade will take time based on your internet connection and application which you install.
1) Checking the current version of my Desktop
Here you can upgrade via terminal.
1a) Backup the repository file
Use the below command to backup your repository file.
[email protected] [~]# sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list.bak
1b) Modify the repository file
LinuxMint 17.1 & 17.2 is based on Ubuntu 14.04.02 So just use the below command to replace “rebecca” with “rafaela”.
[email protected] [~]# sudo sed -i 's/rebecca/rafaela/g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
1c) Run upgrade LinuxMint 17.1 to 17.2
Now, its time to upgrade your Operating system from LinxuMint 17.1 (Rebecca) to LinuxMint 17.2 (Rafaela). This upgrade will take 30-45 mins based on your Internet connection and software which you install.
[email protected] [~]# sudo apt-get update [email protected] [~]# sudo apt-get dist-upgrade [email protected] [~]# sudo apt-get upgrade
Here you can upgrade via GUI mode.
Menu >> Search “Update Manager” >> Open Update manager. Here you can see the “MintUpdate” package.
Edit >> Choose >> Upgrade to Linux Mint 17.2 Rebecca and follow the instruction.