Linux Mint 18 (Sarah) Cinnamon Desktop installation guide
LinuxMint project proudly announced the new release of LinuxMint 18 with Cinnamon 3.0 and the code was named as Sarah on June 30, 2016 which is the base release for LinuxMint 18 series. Linux Mint 18 is a long term support release which will be supported until 2021. It comes with updated software and brings refinements and many new features to make your desktop even more comfortable to use.
In this article I’m going to install Linux Mint 18 (Sarah) Cinnamon Desktop installation with detailed steps and Screen shots. Linux Mint 18 is based on Ubuntu 16.04.
LinuxMint 18 Important Links
- Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” MATE released
- Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” Cinnamon released
- Linux Mint 18 Sarah MATE Edition details
- Linux Mint 18 Sarah Cinnamon Edition details
- Download LinuxMint 18 (Sarah) images based on your country
1) Booting Computer with Linux Mint 18 installation media.
After downloading the LinuxMint 18 ISO image, you need to make it as bootable media. Now, boot your computer with LinuxMint 18 installation media like (Burned CD/DVD or ISO image). It will display below screen. Wait few seconds it will automatically boot with Linux Mint 18.
2) Initiate LinuxMint installation
3) Preparing to Install Linux Mint
4) Installation Type
This step is important one but quit simple. whoever new for Linux then better choose first option
Erase disk and install LinuxMint as it will erase whole disk and create partition table automatically then move forward. For Experience guys and production environment, mission critical systems you should choose fourth option Something else and it will also erase whole disk but need to create partition table manually yourself then hit
For Manual Partition
I’m going to partition
- Choose Something else
- Choose the hard disk then hit New Partition Table to make it entire disk as free space to create different partition
- Hit Continue button to create desired partition
- Press + button to add new partition as you wish. Basically for production environment we need to create at least (/,/home,/boot,/swap) partition which is mandatory
- / : Creating / partition with 10GB of size
- /boot : Creating /boot partition with 1GB of size
- /swap : Creating /swap partition with 2GB of size
- /home : Creating /home partition with 17GB of size
- See the all partitions which we created
- Now, times to install the created partitions
- See the partition table and hit Continue to create new partition table
5) Choose your location
6) Keyboard layout Selection
7) Create new user and password
Its time to create
new user and password on your system then hit
- Full Name
- Require password upon login : By default this option is enabled, even though have a look once.
- Password Twice
8) Installation process is on-going
9) Installation got Completed.
10) Enter User Name & Password
11) Linux mint 18 welcome screen
12) Linux mint 18 (Sarah) Version checking
13) Linux mint 18 (Sarah) Mint-Y Theme
As we already Know, Linux Mint 18 (Sarah) added Mint-Y Flat theme with three variants.
Mint-Y Theme Base
Mint-Y Theme Dark
Mint-Y Theme Darker
We are preparing all articles in-depth to understand by all level/stage Linux administrators. If the article is useful for you, then please spend less than a minute to share your valuable comments in our commenting section.
Please stay tune with us…Good Luck.