Mate is intuitive and attractive Desktop environment for Linux & Unix based system which was forked from GNOME 2. MATE is under active development and supporting all new technologies and most famous Linux flavors such as Ubuntu, Fedora, Linux Mint, Debian, Mageia, Manjaro, openSUSE, CentOS, Arch Linux & FreeBSD, etc..,
After 5 months of development the MATE Desktop team are proud to announce the release of Mate 1.14 on April 08, 2016. The added advantage is, since Ubuntu 14.04 Ubuntu Mate official edition has been released.
What’s new in Mate 1.14
- Improved GTK+3 support across the entire MATE Desktop.
- Full GTK 3.20 support in all MATE themes.
- Client Side Decorated applications render correctly in all themes.
- Completely ported MATE System Monitor and Mozo to GTK+3 only.
- Touchpad configuration now supports edge and two-finger scrolling independently.
- Python extensions in Caja can now be managed separately.
- All three window focus modes are selectable.
- MATE Panel now has the ability to change icon sizes for menubar and menu items.
- MATE NetSpeed Applet has been merged into the MATE Applets package.
- MATE Terminal support VTE 2.91 API when built for GTK+3.
- Volume and Brightness OSD can now be enabled/disabled.
- Translations are updated. Thank you to our team of translators
1) Install Mate Desktop on Linux
Almost all the major Linux distribution officially support
Mate Desktop Environment, so we can install easily from their official repository.
[Debian System] $ sudo tasksel install mate-desktop [Ubuntu System] $ sudo apt-get install mate-core && sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment [LinuxMint System] $ sudo apt-get install mint-meta-mate [Fedora System] $ sudo dnf install @mate-desktop [CentOS/RHEL System] $ sudo yum groupinstall mate-desktop [openSUSE System] $ sudo zypper in -t pattern mate
2) Install Mate Desktop on Arch Linux
Arch Linux comes without GUI, So we need to install few other softwares on Arch Linux to make it work Mate Desktop Environment.
$ sudo pacman -Syu mate mate-extra
3) Install Mate Desktop on FreeBSD
FreeBSD comes without GUI, So we need to install other softwares & few tweeks on FreeBSD to make it work Mate Desktop Environment.
$ sudo pkg install mate